Piano Technician/Assistant Piano Rebuilder
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Experience: 1-2 years minimum
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Philatuner Piano Works seeks a qualified piano technician to assist in restoring pianos at our workshop in Philadelphia and in tuning and repairing pianos in customers' homes in the greater Philadelphia area. As a company, our aim is to help piano owners find connection and meaning in music through expert, detail-oriented work on the instruments they've entrusted to our care. We believe in pushing ourselves to continually improve our skills, and take pride in practicing the craft of piano restoration at the highest level.
Located in the historic Bok building in South Philadelphia, working at Philatuner affords the opportunity to become part of a thriving community of makers and creatives making their home in a repurposed Art Deco former vocational high school. Our neighbors include woodworkers, luthiers, bakers, photographers, sheet music retailers, and even an art school. On-site amenities include a coffee shop, two restaurants, community roof deck access, abundant natural light, regular happy hours + mixers, and more.
Assisting in high-end restoration work will provide an excellent opportunity to learn and further develop a wide range of skills, including:
- Action rebuilding
- New soundboard installation
- Bridge re-capping
- Key restoration
In-home piano service work includes:
- Traveling to and from customers' homes in the Philadelphia area
- Tuning pianos
- Performing pitch corrections
- Performing basic repairs such as replacing broken strings and fixing sticky keys
Experience in all facets of piano restoration is not expected or required; an ideal candidate will possess a solid foundation and a desire to learn and further develop their skillset. Prior experience in piano tuning is required for this position.
- Demonstrated proficiency in piano tuning
- Experience in basic piano repairs
- Independent work ethic
- Careful attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills in writing, over the phone, and in person
- Previous experience in a workshop setting, including knowledge of common tools and shop safety procedures
To apply, send resumé with cover letter attached to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applicants with a full resumé and cover letter will be considered. No phone calls, please.